Unmatched in its class, the Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4-stroke has set the standard in portable outboard power! This lightweight motor weighs in at barely over the 80 lb mark and has undeniable characteristics of a true marine champion.
Our 9.8hp outboard is skinny on fuel and big on power while never compromising performance or reliability. It has a ton of features that are usually only found on larger, more expensive outboards. We pack a lot of punch for the buck in this truly unique outboard! In the 10 hp/9.9 hp category, Tohatsu has once again proven itself the leader of the pack with this 9.8 hp 4-stroke.
Tohatsu 9.8 hp 4-Stroke Benefits
- Designed with proven technology
- Light and compact!
- Greatly reduced vibration for smooth and stable running at all speeds
- Available in a wide variety of models
- Trim tab reduces steering effort, functioning also as the sacrificial anode that protects the engine from electrolysis
- Greatly reduced induction noise for a quieter ride
- Ultra Low emission, EPA and CARB 3-Star rating approved
- 5 Year limited warranty
Easy Operation and Handling
- Digital CD ignition for easier engine starting, quicker throttle response and smoother trolling
- Manual choke on tiller models, electric choke on remote models
- Recoil starter with larger reel making manual starting fast and easy
- Shallow water drive* (*Certain models)
- 6 trim positions* (*Certain models)
- Adjustable steering friction for reducing steering effort* (*Certain models)
Fundamentals for User Convenience and Reliability
- Through-the-prop exhaust for a quieter ride
- Thermostatically controlled cooling system for consistent engine temperature
- Stainless steel water pump housing liner for outstanding durability
- Zinc coating on internal water passages for superior corrosion resistance
- High grade marine aluminum alloy that provides the ultimate protection against corrosion
- 3.1 Gallon (12 liter) fuel tank with fuel gauge
- Aluminum propeller
- Low oil pressure indicator
- Safety lanyard (an essential protection feature standard on all Tohatsu outboards)
- Over-rev. limiter
- Start-in-gear protection for safer engine starting
- Front Shift: The shift lever is located on the front of the motor for easier operation.
- Air-Intake System: Our air-intake system has a large volume air silencer to ensure engine starting and to suppress air-intake noise during engine operation.
- Wide Anti-Cavitation Plate with Trim Tab: The wide anti-cavitation plate effectively restrains the propeller from cavitating. The large trim tab helps to achieve effortless steering at high speeds while also providing corrosion protection.
Model Specific Features
- Model: MFS9.8BEFS
- Shaft Length: 15
- Cylinders: 2
- Electric Start: Standard
- Tiller Handle: Standard
- 12V Charging System: Standard
- Remote Fuel Tank: Standard
- Propeller: Standard
- Engine (No. of Cylinder): 2
- Output: 9.8 hp (7.2 kW)
- Displacement: 209 cc (12.8 cu.in.)
- Bore x Stroke: 55 x 44 mm (2.17 x 1.73 in)
- Starting: Electric or Manual
- Control Type: Remote Control or Tiller Handle
- Gear Shift: Forward - Neutral - Reverse
- Gear Ratio: 2.08:1
- Propeller Selection Range: 6.5 in. - 9.5 in.
- Transom Height: 15 in., 20 in., 25 in.
- Fuel: Unleaded Gasoline (87 Octane)
- Oil Type: NMMA Certified FC-W® 4-stroke oil** SAE 10W-30/40 (SF, SG, SH, SJ)
- Oil Capacity: 27 fl. oz. (800 mL)
- Fuel Tank: 3.1 US gal. (12 L) Separate Fuel Tank
- Weight*: 81.5 lb. (37 kg)
- Alternator Output: Optional: 12V, 80W, 6A (Standard on Electric Start Models)
- Max. RPM Range: 5,000 - 6,000
- Digital CD Ignition System: Standard
- Start In Gear Protection: Standard
- Thermostat Controlled Cooling System: Standard
- Through-The-Prop Exhaust: Standard
- Oil Pressure Warning: Standard
- Shallow Water Drive: Standard